- Be part of the Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL), the national centre of excellence in disease diagnosis & research
- Work in a unique and challenging environment
- Play a key role in operating AAHL’s high level biocontainment animal facility
The role of Animal Technician is to support the capability for use of animals for research purposes within the microbiologically secure containment facility at the CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL).
The Animal Technician will have responsibilities which include provision of animal husbandry, collection of samples from infected animals, data collection and storage, liaison with scientists and veterinarians, promotion of animal welfare and development of quality assurance systems. This work takes place in the microbiological containment facility and there is a particular focus on zoonotic diseases. Preferred candidates will be required to gain security clearance and undertake medical and psychological assessment.
Location: Australian Animal Health Laboratory, Geelong, Vic.
Salary: $59K to $75K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Ref no: VIC15/00171
Applications are open to: Australian Citizens Only
- Ability to comply with AAHL microbiological and security requirements.
- Bachelor of Science or Agriculture and/or experience in animal husbandry and animal behaviour.
To be successful in this position you will also need:
- experience with husbandry and handling a broad range of species such as domestic livestock, laboratory animals and/or wildlife and demonstrated competence in routine husbandry and management procedures in a veterinary or medical research or diagnostic facility, or on a farm;
- willingness to work with animals infected with serious zoonotic disease agents, according to protocols, following appropriate training including the wearing of personal protective equipment;
- ability to maintain accurate records and understand the purpose of such records in a research and diagnostic facility;
- capability to work productively and harmoniously in a team, and also an ability to work independently;
- familiarity with the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes and application of its requirements.
About CSIRO: Australia is founding its future on science and innovation. Its national science agency, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is a powerhouse of ideas, technologies and skills for building prosperity, growth, health and sustainability. It serves governments, industries, business and communities across the nation.
Find out more at www.csiro.au.
CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL) is a high-containment facility designed to allow scientific research into the most dangerous infectious agents in the world. AAHL plays a vital role in maintaining the health of Australia’s animals, the international competitiveness of Australian agriculture and trade, the well-being of Australians and the quality of our environment: Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL)
Applications close Monday 23 February 2015 (11:30pm EDST)
Click on the link below for the full position description and selection criteria: Position Details VIC15/00171
How to apply:
- If you have NOT registered with our Online Application System, you can begin your Application by clicking the ‘Begin’ button.
- If you are unsure if you have registered before, click here and follow the steps.
- FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN DETAILS? click here and follow the steps.
- If you want to preview the Application form prior to logging in,click here