Field-based research projects cost substantial amounts of money, and thanks a generous gift from the Dina and Ron Goldschlager Family Charitable Foundation (in memory of Miriam and Alfred Goldschlager), Deakin honours and PhD research students will be able to apply for up to $5000 this year to support their projects.
Projects are to involve the Manningham Local Government Area (LGA) in Melbourne, with a preferred area of focus outlined below and which preferably involve some protection activities on a reserve in Park Orchards, donated to Manningham City Council by the Dina and Ron Goldschlager Family Charitable Foundation.
Preferred projects will involve:
- Owl surveys
- Parrot and cockatoo surveys
- Introduced birds and bird feeding (ongoing in Manningham LGA and the region)
- Yellow Robins and fire
- Land management of semi-rural properties
- Landholder attitudes to land management of semi-rural properties
- Open space use, attitudes and biodiversity (ongoing in Manningham LGA and the region)
- Botanical and biodiversity survey techniques and analysis
- Controlling pest plants and animals
Monies are to support Deakin student research projects and applications must have the support of their supervisors.
We thank the Dina and Ron Goldschlager Family Charitable Foundation for their generous donation and support of young environmental scientists.