DATE: Friday, 12th July 2019
LOCATION: Geelong Campus at Waurn Ponds – Room ka4.207 (Green room).
Seminar will also be video linked to the following campuses: Melbourne Campus at Burwood –Burwood Corporate Centre and Warrnambool Campus, Room J2.19 (Fishbowl).
Rates of speciation vary tremendously among evolutionary lineages and our understanding of the factors facilitating the very rapid speciation seen within species flocks remains incomplete.
Here, we examine the extrinsic and intrinsic factors promoting speciation within the cichlid fishes, a tropical freshwater group known for their exceptional diversity.
We analyze cichlids on a macroevolutionary scale using a large complete phylogeny of all described species, as well as a microevolutionary scale using one hundred whole genomes of the Lake Victoria species flock, which has the fastest sustained speciation rate in vertebrates.
My lab uses whole genomic sequencing, phylogenetic comparative methods, and functional experiments to study the factors governing speciation, adaptation, and extinction, with an emphasis on fishes.
I received my PhD at the University of California Davis, then did my postdoc with Ole Seehausen at University of Bern.
Appointments with speaker may be made via Larry Croft (email@example.com).
External visitors – wish to join us and connect to our seminars?
External parties may connect to the live seminar via *N SEBE VMP LES Seminars firstname.lastname@example.org [ID.36958] via the methods listed below:
- For external guests, you can connect as a web guest by clicking HERE. If using Chrome you it will prompt you to install the Cisco Jaba Plugin, then it will prompt you to download the extension which you will need to install. Once this has been installed, you will have a black screen with a call button. You will just need to click call and it should connect into the VMP.
- For Deakin staff and students, please join via Skype for Business (Lync) – if you have office installed you may already have Skype for business or Lync installed. You just need to look for it on the start menu. If you find it, you can log into skype using your Deakin email and password and then dial 36958.
- Could not log in? More info on how to connect is available HERE or HERE.
- From a mobile phone or landline: call +613 92517000, wait for the prompt,then enter the five digit VMP number (36958)
- Please note that connection is only available while a seminar is taking place.
As a courtesy, we request that when connecting to the seminar that you mute your microphone unless you are required to speak, this would ensure that the sound from the speaker to the audience is not disrupted by feedback from your microphone – thank you!