|Research grouping||Centre for Integrative Ecology|
I am a marine ecologist with a deep interest in understanding how marine species will respond to a changing, and likely more unpredictable, environment. My current projects focus on detecting trends in marine animal (marine mammal, turtle, krill) distribution and abundance, and linking these to weather and ocean processes at ranges of scales. I am also interested in developing rapid assessment techniques for measuring health in marine predators and tracking this over time.
- Research Fellow – School of Life & Environmental Sciences, Deakin University, Warrnambool, Victoria (2014 – Present)
- Director/Managing Director – Blue Whale Study Inc., Victoria (2007 – Present)
- PhD Candidate – School of Life & Environmental Sciences, Deakin University, Warrnambool, Victoria (2002 – 2014)
- Senior Technical Officer – RPS, Perth, Western Australia (2009)
- Coastal & Marine Planning Officer – Western Coastal Board & Surf Coast Shire, Victoria (1999 – 2002)
- Research Officer – University of Tasmania, Tasmania (1995 – 1999)
See LinkedIn for other career highlights
- Gill P, Pirzl R, Morrice M, Lawton K. in review. Cetacean diversity of the continental shelf and slope off southern Australia. Wildlife Management.
- Morrice, M. G. Fine-scale foraging habitat and behavioural responses of pygmy blue whales. PhD Thesis, Deakin University, Warrnambool.
- Attard, C.; Beheregaray, L.; Jenner, K. C.; Gill, P.; Jenner, M.; Morrice, M.; Robertson, K.; Möller, L. 2012. Hybridization of Southern Hemisphere blue whale subspecies and a sympatric area off Antarctica: impacts of whaling or climate change? Molecular Ecology 11/2012; DOI:10.1111/mec.12025.
- Gill, P.C., G. Morrice, B. Page, R. Pirzl, A.H. Levings and M. Coyne. 2011. Blue whale habitat selection and within-season distribution in a regional upwelling system off southern Australia. Marine Ecology Progress Series 421: 243-263.
- van den Hoff, J. and G. Morrice. 2008. Sleeper shark (Somniosus antarcticus) and other bite wounds observed on southern elephant seals (Mirounga leonina) at Macquarie Island. Mar. Mamm. Sci.24(1): 239-247.
- Horsburgh, J., Morrice, M. A. Lea and M. Hindell. 2008. Determining feeding events and prey encounter rates in a southern elephant seal: a method using swim speed and stomach temperature. Mar. Mamm. Sci.24(1): 207-217.
- Branch, T.A., Stafford, K.M., Palacios, D.M., Allison, C., Bannister, J.L., Burton, C.L.K., Cabrera, E., Carlson, C.A., Galletti Vernazzani, B., Gill, P.C., Hucke-Gaete, R., Jenner, K.C.S., Jenner, M.-N.M., Matsuoka, K., Mikhalev, Y.A., Miyashita, T., Morrice, M.G., Nishiwaki, S., Sturrock, V.J., Tormosov, D., Anderson, R.C., Baker, A.N., Best, P.B., Borsa, P., Brownell Jr, R.L., Childerhouse, S., Findlay, K.P., Gerrodette, T., Ilangakoon, A.D., Joergensen, M., Kahn, B., Ljungblad, D.K., Maughan, B., McCauley, R.D., McKay, S., Norris, T.F., Oman Whale and Dolphin Research Group, Rankin, S., Samaran, F., Thiele, D., Van Waerebeek, K. and Warneke, R.M. 2007. Past and present distribution, densities and movements of blue whales Balaenoptera musculus in the Southern Hemisphere and northern Indian Ocean. Mammal Rev. 37:116-175.
- Hindell, M. A., M. Lea, Morrice and C. R. Mc Mahon. 2000. Metabolic limits on dive duration and swimming speed in the southern elephant seal, Mirounga leonina. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 73: 790-798.
- Morrice, M. G.; H. R. Burton and K. Green 1994. Microgeographic variation and songs in the underwater vocalisation repertoire of the Weddell seal (Leptonychotes weddellii) from the Vestfold Hills, Antarctica. Polar Biology 14: 441-446.